From the Italian word meaning “little ears”, the small and delicately shaped noodle used in this recipe is a distinctly Puglian type pasta that melds beautifully with the simple and rustic sauce.
“Topped with roasted grape tomatoes and grated cheese, orecchiette pasta is the ideal domed pasta shape for cradling savoury sun-dried tomato pesto and aromatic fresh basil,” says Tom Filippou, executive chef at President’s Choice. “The comforting flavours in this dish make it one of my favourites to serve up during the colder fall and winter months.”
Orecchiette with Roasted and Sundried Tomatoes
- 2 packages (each 255 g) PC Grape Tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 jar (191 mL) PC Black Label Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) grated PC Black Label Hard Ripened Sovrano Cheese
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 package (500 g) PC Black Label Orecchiette Pasta
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) thinly sliced fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss together tomatoes, oil and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt in bowl; spread onto prepared baking sheet. Roast in centre of oven for 25 minutes or until shriveled.
- Meanwhile, combine pesto, cheese, 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt and the pepper in large bowl.
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta; stir occasionally until water returns to a boil. Cook for 9 to 11 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain, reserving 1 cup (250 mL) of the pasta cooking water. Toss pasta with pesto mixture. Add half of reserved pasta cooking water and toss again. Add more water if necessary to loosen sauce, adding 1/4 cup (50 mL) at a time. Stir in basil.
- Divide pasta among six bowls; spoon tomatoes over top. Serve with additional grated or shaved cheese, if desired.