Smoked Trout, Orzo & Asparagus Salad by Janette Mitchell
Prep time 20 mins | Serves 4
- 1 ½ cups dried orzo
- 1 can (110g) smoked trout, drained and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 bunch of fresh asparagus, thinly sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 150g feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 tbsp drained and rinsed capers
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh dill
- ¼ tsp salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Rinse with cold water until the pasta has cooled down completely. Drain well.
- While the orzo is cooking, drain the trout, and the capers and place in a medium sized bowl.
- Cut up the tomatoes and feta and add to the bowl.
- For the asparagus, no need to cook this. Remove the rough ends and then cut the asparagus in half. Using a potato peeler, peel the asparagus onto a cutting board, and then cut the grated pieces into bite size lengths. Another option is to thinly slice with a knife, but your knife should be super sharp.
- In a small bowl mix the salad dressing (oil, lemon, dill, salt & pepper).
- Add the cooked, rinsed and cooled orzo to the medium bowl with other salad ingredients, add the dressing and mix until all the orzo is coated. Serve at room temperature.
– If you can’t find smoked trout, you can swap smoked salmon. The smokiness of the fish is what brings this dish to life.